Followers

Monday, January 24, 2011

Starting a New Career

To start a new career, begin by converting your ideas to actions

Question: I've been thinking about making a career change for almost two years. I know it's time, and I have some ideas about what I might want to do. The thought of trying to start over is very scary, and I can't seem to get up the nerve to do it. What can you suggest to help me finally take action?

Answer: The prospect of leaving the familiar can be frightening, and, up to this point, it has been easier for you to just stay put. There's a readiness factor in making any big move, and it sounds like you're right on the cusp.

Take these steps to begin to convert your ideas to actions.

Face your fears. Start by isolating the internal and external forces that might be blocking you. Realistically assess the risk involved in making a change, and then channel your imagination and energy toward overcoming the obstacles. Focusing on the forces that support change and reminding yourself of the benefits of a new work option will reinforce your resolve to move ahead.

Envision your future. Picturing the move to an exciting opportunity is a more powerful motivator than merely wanting to escape a bad situation. Clearly defining and visualizing the new career will strengthen your confidence. Remind yourself that you're much more likely to regret what you don't do than what you do.

Make it manageable. One step at a time will deliver you to your goal. Identify a timeline with milestones along the way. Completing your resume, developing a targeted employer list and attending networking meetings all count as activities to check off of the "to do" list. Having these predetermined markers will make the move manageable and allow you to celebrate accomplishments on the path to your next career.

Taken from the Democrat Chronicle.com. Written by Deb Koen on Jan 23, 2011.

5 comments:

  1. good advice in this article. I can identify with the facing fears and I feel I have envisioned my future, but I have struggled with management of the goals or tasks to achieve the goals. However!with my fresh outlook leaving Careerfusion 2011, I feel I have the tools and more mentors that will help me stay focused and stay on task!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could not have been put in a more succinct and meaningful way. I have spoken with many Fusionistas over the past few weeks and even in this short time I believe that this article was imbedded in all of our minds before we left Daytona! Maybe Shirley's subliminal enforcement? It is a great reinforcement and I know we will see lots of positive outcomes. Little by little, step by step - but make sure you tackle it! START NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on...dream it, speak it and make it happen. Super mentors all around us. They want to help...just ask and get moving! Make a game plan and follow your dreams. Thanks Careerfusion my Dream Team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too agree that as simple as it might seem, it is true. So often we want to make complex-okay myself included yet the reality is making that vision a part of your every thought by internalizing it. I wasn't at CF 2011 but I bet Fran said, "Is it taking you closer or farther away?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the simplicity of the article. I am learning that it is critical to schedule time to work on your future goals. I need to learn how to schedule my time more effectively. Between work, school, homework, my email, my snail mail,gym, my husband and my son, I do not have alot of time. I see myself wasting time on Facebook , or in front of the TV when I could put the time to better use.
    When I came back from Career Fusion I made an agreement with myself to cut back on TV and so far I am doing well. I allow myself no more than one hour daily. It makes a big difference. Now if I could get off the phone!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete